free web hit counter

Friday, August 05, 2005

Mixing 101

It has been about 2 months since the wedding. The pictures have come in, the video has been reviewed and the thank you notes are getting done. But the wedding, and all the trappings that come with it are over.

Now it's time to get down to business. I am a wife. Exciting? If you consider night sweats and all out panic at the site of your bakeware exciting, then yes. It is mucho exciting.

I was truly not prepared for all this. I think I was distracted by all the commotion of planning a wedding. And we had bought a house (a fixer-upper) that required alot of attention in the months leading up to the wedding. Yes, I was distracted and unprepared for it...but I am confident that I can get this wife thing down. It just takes a little adjusting is all. Right? I'll learn to cook, figure out the washer/dryer, and cleaning can't be too difficult...

Skip 2 months ahead to present time. I am composing my blog in an effort not to lose my mind. Perhaps if I write it all out, it will be theraputic. Like keeping a diary when you were 8. So here goes.

The mixer referenced in my last post became the bane of my existence over the last three weeks. It was purchased at Williams-Sonoma after the wedding with gift certificates. Obviously, I was still in bride mode. The bride in me wanted it because it comes in cool colors that match your kitchen, and plus...all good wives have them. The wife if me should have known better.

So it sat on the counter, taunting me, for the past three weeks. Finally, in an effort to avoid doing yard work with my new husband, I declared that I was going to bake a cake this past Saturday. This would necessarily involve the use of the mixer. "See I told you I would use it."

(All Brides Beware...It looks as sweet as a Betty Crocker Muffin, but it is as evil as Lucifer himself)

It took three trips to the supermarket (did you know baking powder and baking soda are different? And there are different types of sugar?). I was undeterred and remained confident. With the Betty Crocker Newlywed Edition Cookbook by my side this would be a piece of cake...literally.

I am still not sure exactly what happened and when...I know that at some point my enthusiam turned to anger, and then panic, and then I was fighting for survival in my own kitchen. It was me vs. the mixer. Clearly I had underestimated the mixer.

Flour was everywhere, cake batter and frosting were on my clothes (despite my new apron) and I swear that mixer laughed at me when I turned my back on it. While I was not severely injured, I cut my hand and had to cut a chunk of hair that had gotten wrapped around the whisk-thing off. In the end I had made a cake, from scratch, and the frosting.

It took my husband 4 glasses of milk to get down one piece. He told me it was great, delicious, "right up there with my mom's" he said. The last comment was the clincher. I knew he was lying as soon as he uttered it.

Because that it the whole point. That is where the panic comes from. His mother, my new mother-in-law, has the wife thing down. I may have been a great bride, but this lady is a great wife. As was my mom. And somehow all the expectations that no one has for me anyway, are suffocating me.

And therein lies my personal crusade. I will kick the mixer's ass...or die trying.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

funny post!

6:44 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, ralph lauren uk, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, hollister pas cher, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, converse pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, north face, nike air force, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike roshe, nike free uk, replica handbags, longchamp pas cher, lululemon canada, sac longchamp pas cher, coach purses, nike air max uk, jordan pas cher, kate spade, ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, north face uk, true religion jeans, sac hermes, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, michael kors, new balance, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet store online, nike tn, coach outlet, air max, vans pas cher

9:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, converse, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ray ban, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton, moncler, hollister, ugg, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, replica watches, moncler outlet, gucci, canada goose, louis vuitton, barbour, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, hollister, ugg uk, coach outlet, thomas sabo, supra shoes, pandora charms, swarovski, barbour uk, links of london, converse outlet, canada goose uk, montre pas cher, canada goose, swarovski crystal, vans, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, lancel, doudoune moncler

9:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

instyler curling iron
kate spade
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet store online
adidas shoes
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
tory burch outlet
ray bans
hollister clothing
adidas superstar
mont blanc
toms
tods shoes
louis vuitton handbags
longchamp bags
coach canada
adidas shoes
oakley sunglasses
coach outlet store online clearances
michael kors handbags
rolex watches
nike air force 1
coach outlet online
nike outlet
jordan 8
tiffany outlet
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton bags
christian louboutin shoes
louis vuitton handbags
tiffany jewelry
nike air max
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet
replica watches for sale
michael kors outlet
20166.18wengdongdong

5:06 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

goyard
goyard handbags
goyard
golden goose sneakers
golden goose
yeezy
golden goose
supreme t shirt
golden goose
golden goose

6:01 AM  
Blogger menna said...

الامانة كلين
شركة مكافحة الفئران ام القيوين
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض ام القيوين

4:24 PM  
Blogger alwafaa campany said...


شركة الوفاء
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالخبر
شركة تنظيف بيوت بالدمام
شركة تنظيف المنازل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام

3:45 AM  
Blogger Mai said...

المغربي
اعمال السباكة والصرف الصحى بالفجيرة
تركيب باركيه بالفجيرة
خدمات الفجيرة

10:59 AM  
Blogger الفارس كلين said...




شركه تنظيف منازل بالدمام

شركه تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركه تنظيف مكيفات بالدمام

شركه مكافحه حشرات بالدمام

شركه تنظيف كنب وسجاد بالخرج
شركه تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
شركه تنظيف خزانات بالقطيف
شركه مكافحه حشرات بالقطيف
شركه تنظيف مكيفات براس تنوره


1:39 PM  
Blogger deraz said...

بيت العز – الامارات
شركة تلميع وجلى رخام فى الشارقة
شركة تنظيف خزانات فى الشارقة

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home