free web hit counter

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The in-laws

(my father-in-law posing with me at the wedding...yeah...posing, that's right...we were posing.)

In-Laws. Its the underbelly of marriage that no one speaks of. Except Ben Stiller.

Actually, I have great in-laws. I love them, very much. They are like my own family...Therefore, I do not have any in-law problems (except I can't determine what to call my husband's mother so I just wait until she looks at me to speak to her). No, my problems are the types of problems you have with your parents. They are like a second set of parents, and quite frankly, I'm lucky to have them. I really hit the jackpot.

I have great parents. Seriously, they are award winning. But they live far away. My in-laws on the other hand, live only 15 minutes away. And since I started dating my husband seven years ago, they have taken me in as if I were one of theirs. For instance, every year I get yelled at by my CPA father-in-law for incorrectly claiming deductions on my w-2. He yells at me the same way he yells at my husband and his two other daughters. It is strangely comforting.

As a result, I act accordingly...I act like they are my parents. I do not afford them the courtesy I would extend to my boyfriend's parents...they get the same service that my own parents get. God help them.

And that's how it happened. A mere two months after my wedding.

I called my husband's sister and brother-in-law down in Baltimore to see if they needed help moving. My brother-in-law answered the phone and sounded a little off. When I asked him what was wrong, he said "we had some problems with the father-in-law today." I replied "really, what kind of problems?" and he said "you know how it is...father-in-law problems." to which I replied "If he is down there trying to help you, and you don't want him there, just tell him he doesn't know what he is doing and you don't want him around".

And only then did my father-in-law reveal to me that he had been pretending to be my brother-in-law. Yeah, you read it right. I insulted my father-in-law by making fun of him to ... him.

Turns out he was really hurt by the whole thing, which in turn hurt me. He said he felt unappreciated for all the help he gives us (he helps us work on the house all the time). So I wrote him this long letter about how much I love him and yadda yadda yadda...AND NOTHING. It was like the panda watch from Anchorman the Movie..."Day 3 and no word from my father in law"...


And that's the thing. No matter how much you love your spouse's parents, they still aren't your parents. It's a whole other family with a whole other way of doing things. And as the new wife, you need to figure it out and go with the flow. So the letter was a mistake. My family is big on cards, letters, expressing how proud we are of each other and how much we love each other (I got a card every other day from my parents through 4 years of college). But I'm not dealing with my family.

I'm dealing with his family. Not alot of card exchanging going on. A lot of getting up at 8 am on a saturday to help paint, or coming to pick you up at 1 in the morning when your car breaks down. In other words, while not verbal about it, they are pretty good at letting you know they love you. Right. Should have known better than the card.

Lesson number 492 about being a good wife:

Do not insult your father in law by making fun of him to his face.

6 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, christian louboutin uk, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, tiffany jewelry, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, nike free, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton outlet

9:17 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, ralph lauren uk, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, hollister pas cher, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, converse pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, north face, nike air force, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike roshe, nike free uk, replica handbags, longchamp pas cher, lululemon canada, sac longchamp pas cher, coach purses, nike air max uk, jordan pas cher, kate spade, ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, north face uk, true religion jeans, sac hermes, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, michael kors, new balance, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet store online, nike tn, coach outlet, air max, vans pas cher

9:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, converse, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ray ban, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton, moncler, hollister, ugg, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, replica watches, moncler outlet, gucci, canada goose, louis vuitton, barbour, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, hollister, ugg uk, coach outlet, thomas sabo, supra shoes, pandora charms, swarovski, barbour uk, links of london, converse outlet, canada goose uk, montre pas cher, canada goose, swarovski crystal, vans, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, lancel, doudoune moncler

9:24 PM  
Blogger sherrysabri said...

توفر الشركة كافة مواد نقل الأثاث والديكور المنزلي التي تستخدم في عملية نقل العفش دون إيذاء أي قطعة به حيث توفر الشركة أفضل أجهزة فك وتركيب الأثاث بحرفية وكذلك توفر عدد كبير من النجارين المتخصصين في مجالهم والمدربين علي فك وتركيب كافة أنواع الأثاث بمنتهي السهولة والسرعة كما أن الشركة توفر عمالة مدربة علي التعامل بحرفية مع الأوناش الكبيرة التي تقوم بنقل الأثاث من وإلي الأماكن العالية دون حدوث أي خسائر
شركة نقل عفش بالدمام

شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام

2:06 AM  
Blogger sherrysabri said...

ارخص شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام 0505565030 باقل الاسعار
شركة المثالى صقور لمكافحة جميع انواع الحشرات باقوى المبيدات الحشرية وباقل الاسعار لدينا افضل العروض والخصومات على مكافحة جميع انواع الحشرات

شركه مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام إذا كنت تعاني من مشكله انتشار الحشرات في المنزل فأنت محتاج الى التعامل مع شركه على قدر كبير من الثقة والخبرة وهذا ما توفره شركتنا لعملائها الى جانب استعمال أفضل و أقوى المبيدات الحشرية الحاصله على تصريح من وزاره الصحة حتى تكون أمنه على صحة الأفراد ويتم ذلك تحت إشراف فريق من الخبراء المتخصصين في التعامل على مكافحه الحشرات

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام
شركة مكافحة بق الفراش بالدمام
شركة مكافحة صراصير بالدمام
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالدمام

شركة مكافحة الحمام بالدمام

2:17 AM  
Blogger sherrysabri said...

شركة المثالي صقور لتنظيف الشقق والمنازل بالدمام 0505565030
تتميز شركة المثالي صقور بالعديد من المميزات وعلي رأسها توفيرها كافة أنواع الخدمات المختلفة والتي تتنوع لتناسب مختلف الاحتياجات اليومية ولذلك فنحن نتصدر قائمة شركات الخدمات من حيث الجودة والمهارة ومستوي الخدمة المقدمة للعملاء كما أن أسعارنا ليس لها منافس في كافة أرجاء البلاد كما تقوم الشركة بتدريب العمالة الخاصة بها بشكل مستمر وذلك حرصا منها علي وصول الخدمة بأفضل المستويات والمتطلبات الممكنة
شركة تنظيف بالدمام
شركة تنظيف منازل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام
شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالدمام
شركة تنظيف كنب بالدمام
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالدمام
شركة تنظيف قصور بالدمام
شركة تنظيف بالبخار بالدمام
<a

2:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home