free web hit counter

Monday, March 06, 2006

Sephora IS HERE!!!!!!!!

I started out at 19 using Clinique. At 26, my bestfriend/roommate informed me that Clinique was "like, Oh My God, such a starter makeup" and that I needed something that reflected the woman I had become. So I got some Chanel, and some Laura Mercier. And then I got the worst clogged pores you have ever laid eyes on. Apparently the woman I had become had bad skin. So I decided to leave the woman I had become in the dust and go back to the flawless skin Girl I Had Been All Along. So I went out and repurchased the clinique. I was 27 and that was the last time I bought makeup...I am now 30.

You see where this is going right? The Sephora Store in my area has been opened for a few months now. How it escaped my attention I don't know...I have no idea how this is not on the front page of the paper...Women of New Jersey, are you too caught up in being from New Jersey to realize the social impact of such an opening?

Apparently, they are. Regardless, this Saturday my husband and I went to the mall specifically to go to Sephora. I had wrongly assumed that he would understand the significance of the new Sephora store. He has absolutely no comprehension of what a magnificent occassion it was to be purchasing all new makeup. It was a once every few years experience that I relish...

We went in together and he immediately asked "what is this place?" I did not have time to answer before Andie came over to us. Andie was the male makeup artist who was going to assist me in determining what type of makeup best suited me. Andie was also wearing about three times the amount of makeup I had worn on my wedding day, a day that I wore the most makeup I had ever worn in my life: FOUNDATION PEOPLE!

My husband shook hands with Andie and promptly told me he would be back to get me. Although he was polite, it was clear that Andie's eye liner and lip gloss scared my husband a little. Once he was gone, Andie and I got down to business and as it turns out, Andie completely understood me from Hello. He instinctively understood my wants and needs (purely in a makeup sense). I grew to appreciate and even love Andie in that half hour of consultation.

Right on cue, just as Andie was finishing up, my husband walked up to me. I asked what he thought, and he replied "it's very orange". Andie was visibly hurt. I tried to console him. I tried to explain that my husband prefers me without makeup and as a consequence I don't normally wear alot of makeup...My husband just wasn't used to it, he didn't mean anything by it...

And then my husband looked at Andie and said "no, it looks good, you did a good job. I like it, it just took me a minute." Andie relaxed a little and dabbed at his welled up eyes. It was a touching moment really, my husband trying to make Andie feel better about the makeup. Telling his wife she looks orange, yeah, he has no problem with that. But hurting Andie, what did you think he was, some kind of monster?

Oh Sephora, I just can't quit you...

9 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hilarious! I love your husband's gay-man sensitivity... oh wait, Andie was gay, wasn't he? :)

...And buying all new makeup? What a treat!

...We spoke many moons ago about the Philosphy Make-Up Optional skin care line. I thought I loved it at first. But I have to tell you, it broke me out like nobody's business. Now I use the cleanser to shave, and occasionally dabble in the exfoliation duo. So sad, I liked how it all smelled so botanical.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Newly -

Thanks for the comment on my blog. It IS a touchy subject, but I feel like those against never seem to be heard. Your analogy was poignant and thought provoking. I agree, it's difficult to tell someone else what they can and cannot "morally" do. I think we've set standards against murder and it's just a question of whether or not our nation recognizes it as such to apply the same principals.

Thanks, again. I always enjoy your comments!

P.S. I'm going to have to find a Sephora store!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

Wow, I can't believe you blogged this. I mean, makeup is such a personal thing. But, since you've laid your soul (and your foundation) bare, I think I can confide in you that for the past three years I've been wearing that all-mineral Bare Essentuals makeup from the annoying swirl-tap-buff commercials.

It feels like going naked. My husband loves it.

Be sure to add Andie to your Christmas card list--you don't want to add insult to injury.

3:00 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

I probably should clarify:

My husband loves it on me.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Bearca said...

I heart Sephora.

And I tagged you with a meme. :)

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
Mitsubishi and digital projectors Faucets claw foot tub Peter bain forex fraud and scam Can awnings be made from wood where is jenna jameson galleries allegra d bronchitis first gear camping gear Dishwasher ls712 r make rollup awning sony dsc t- 9 digital camera

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP » » »

2:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

timberland boots, soccer shoes, nike roshe, asics running shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, beats by dre, new balance, jimmy choo shoes, vans, north face outlet, instyler, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, baseball bats, hollister, karen millen, gucci, lancel, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, louboutin, reebok shoes, north face outlet, converse outlet, hollister, herve leger, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ghd, nike air max, mont blanc, chi flat iron, nfl jerseys, toms shoes, supra shoes, mac cosmetics, converse, babyliss, wedding dresses, celine handbags, ray ban, vans shoes, nike air max, montre pas cher, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, birkin bag

9:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, michael kors, coach outlet, coach outlet, nike free, replica watches, kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, longchamp, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, nike air max, louboutin, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade handbags, sac longchamp, nike outlet, air max, gucci outlet, air jordan pas cher, louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, replica watches, nike free, longchamp pas cher, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, replica handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home