free web hit counter

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

As the World Turns...

Thank you for being such a comfort anonymous internet. Truly. Thank you.

In an effort of self preservation, I took down the last two posts. I will put them back up once this whole thing is not so raw. But in the meantime, life keeps going.

So...

We have not done laundry in FOREVER! Actually, since I never do the laundry, I should say "My husband has not done laundry in FOREVER!" That would be more accurate. I have no clean underwear, and my husband had no clean shirts, undershirts or underwear.

Obviously, we were tied up on Monday night. And last night, my husband announced that he had a softball game and a soccer game back to back. It was a rare night when all the planets align in the worst possible scenario. We were going through something upsetting, he had not one, but TWO league games, and I had no clean underwear for the next day. The overwhelming tragedy of it all shook me to the core and before I knew it, I had decided to do some laundry myself.

And briefly, the world stopped spinning on its axis. Did you feel it last night around 7:30 pm EST?

I mean, do the laundry myself? Was I ready for such an event? Particularly in my condition? And not just do the laundry, but do HIS laundry. And not just do HIS laundry, but do his WORK SHIRTS...

You can sense where this is going right?


The attention and concentration I gave to doing his laundry was somewhere around the level of attention and concentration I had given the bar exam. And just for context, I devoted 2 1/2 months of my life to doing nothing but studying for that exam: because my livlihood and ability to have a career depended on my passing that exam. Obviously the comparison to laudering my husband's work shirts is apparent to you, no?

Once all his shirts were properly hung (color coded and all facing the same way in the specific part of the closet designated for work shirts), it occurred to me that my husband's obesession over the laundry is getting a little out of control. Considering.

And in the end, I had done the shirts exactly right. With care and attention anything is possible.

However, in the brew ha ha, I forgot to wash any underwear for myself. I am now wearing a pair of dark purple satin underwear, ripped on the waistband and frayed in one leg band, circa 1992.

At 11pm, when my husband walked through the door, tired from the sports, tired from the events of the past two days, and weighed down by life in general...I announced:

"I washed some work shirts and underwear for you!"

He looked at me and kissed me and said without a trace of worry "Thanks sweetie"

And it was in that moment, I knew that we were going to be just fine.

Of course, it was also in that moment that I decided that the work shirts just weren't worth the aggravation.

17 Comments:

Blogger Clearlykels said...

Congrats on the laundry. That is an accomplishment. It is a pretty daunting task. You clean work shirts!!! Wow, I prefer to send that stuff out. How is the new job?

11:15 AM  
Blogger Amanda Mae said...

My dear, you are very brave.

You are also very beautiful and I love your care and attention for your new life. I read through some of your old posts, and you are a wonderful wife.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I'm impressed. I have only just recently managed to master the art that is "laundry". And it took me well over 8 years to accomplish it. Of course, maybe it wasn't so much that I didn't know how as it was that I didn't want to know how. So that's pretty awesome for you.

I just have to say that I am so glad that you decided to keep writing. For awhile there I was afraid you wouldn't. Thanks!

12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you two are trying your best to keep your chins up and move on (which sounds awful, but I couldnt think of anything else to call it).

I'm sure you two will be back on track and in the saddle again soon. Best of luck.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

How about giving an oldywed a tip and telling me how exactly to get MY husband to do the laundry? :)

Also, when I run out of underwear--REALLY run out--I am not above wearing his.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I wear jeans and t-shirts to work currently so washing anything that requires any attention is out. I used to, but I hated it. I'm impressed as I'm not sure I would have mustered up the desire to tackle that job!

P.S. I love Katrina saying she'd wear her hubby's underwear if necessary!

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love laundry, and my dearest is not allowed to fold or hang up my clothes, because no matter how hard he tries (which honestly? not that hard, especially compared with your efforts) he never hangs the shirts up facing the right way.

so - you are a better wife than my man will be a husband.

also, someday I will own my own washer & dryer and my life will be (slightly more) complete.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Josefina said...

You did a great job, my husband never let me iron his shirts...!!!

Anyway, I hope you're feeling better!!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Bearca said...

I guess I missed some stuff, since I've been out of town and not staying caught up on blogs. I can guess, though, and I hope you are doing okay. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I was just thinking about you today. Hope you're doing well, Newly.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hi long lost blogging friend,
I've been such an absent blogger lately, and now I return to fnd that you're dealing with some level of unknown tragedy. Whatever it is, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better. I will keep you and newlyhusbanded in my prayers.

You are an absolute joy and I can't stand for anything to get you down. So keep that chin high, and buy a new pair of shoes, and maybe a lipgloss. Works wonders!! :)

11:37 AM  
Blogger Poka Bean said...

okay, so by doing your husband's work shirts do you mean anything involved with IRONING??? because that is just taking things way too far. you can't do crap like that. you're making the rest of us look bad. we can't keep up with all this excellent wifing!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Kerri W. said...

I'm glad that you're still going to continue writing. I've enjoyed following along your first year of newly-wedded bliss (and all the rest), as mine is just beginning. From what I hear, the first year is the most chaotic, so from here on out, things will be...less chaotic? :) Us wives must only dream.

Good luck with everything - and kudos on the laundry. I do laundry once every 2 weeks or so. And my biggest issue comes when I'm finished folding all the laundry, and I see that there are about 7 stacks of clothes for my husband (not counting like 17 pairs of socks), and only a few shirts, underwear and nylons on my side. Um, how is it that I am the one doing laundry when I OBVIOUSLY am producing such a small portion?

Anyway. :) Enough of that.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Come back, Newly, we miss you!

1:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, moncler outlet, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, bottes ugg, moncler, canada goose uk, replica watches, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, swarovski, moncler, swarovski crystal, links of london, ugg boots uk, moncler, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, ugg pas cher, coach outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose, pandora charms, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, wedding dresses, moncler

9:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, michael kors, coach outlet, coach outlet, nike free, replica watches, kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, longchamp, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, nike air max, louboutin, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade handbags, sac longchamp, nike outlet, air max, gucci outlet, air jordan pas cher, louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, replica watches, nike free, longchamp pas cher, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, replica handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home