free web hit counter

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Files

When I first met my husband in school, he had this huge desk in his room. A desk an executive would have, not the ikea special all other students buy. And in that desk, he had his "files". They were extensive and they were organized. It was like he was the dean of students as opposed to just another kid trying to graduate. But he was organized and always could find what he needed, and when it came time to fill out the bar application, he was the only one who had all the necessary paperwork handy without having to call home to his parents 100 times asking them to send important life documents.

Fast forward to after graduation, when he moved into his own apartment. The files were packed in a box, and he just never got around to upacking them.

Now shoot to present, where for the last 2 years since we got engaged, the kid has basically thrown all our bills, paperwork, passports, and important information into what I have lovingly referred to as "shit pile". Yes, we have two rubbermaid bins filled to capacity with papers, in no particular order, not even neatly piled up. We have approximately 4 drawers in the house equally piled high with various receipts, invitations, ticket stubs, bills etc. I refer to these as the "shit drawers".

Any time that we are looking for something, I get angry and say "why don't you look in the shit piles?" The frustration over the disorganization is two-fold. First, no one likes to be that disorganized; and second, this was not what I had signed up for. I know how the other half lives, I've been to the other side and let me tell you, coming back has been hell. When I signed up, I thought I was getting a completely organized system of filing, not bins full of crap...

So after more than 2 years of saying that he was going to "do our filing" my husband organized the filing this weekend. And we are back to the man I fell in love with. Back to the age inappropriate executive desk system. Back to anal retentiveness regarding our files. And I regret every joke I ever made about his crazy files while we were in school. I now know their value. The value of a life lived in a systematically organized household. And I will never complain again.

Two things of note occurred during the organization process. First, my husband found my law school transcript, looked at me and said "it's your transcript, can I look at it?" Am I the only one that thinks once you are married, looking at your spouses' transcript is a given?

Second, I was looking through his first year of law school phone list, and saw the name of a girl I did not recognize. I asked who she was, and my husband replied "I don't remember." A few minutes later we were in the basement together and I headed upstairs first. I told him I wanted him to stay in the basement until he thought about who "Kristin Wurmuth" is, and then he could come up. Is it wrong to be upset over your husband's apparent calling another woman enough that it warrants putting her number on the phone list he made 7 years ago?

Incidentally, my old roommate did inform me that Kristin Wurmuth was in our class and I knew her during lawschool, so the crisis passed and I let my husband come up from the basement.

9 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Oh, yeah--Kristin! She was that girl with the coke bottle glasses and the perpetually stuffy nose who was brilliant at taking (and sharing) class notes, but not so great at matching her socks.

Don't you feel better now?

4:52 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hilarious!
I mean this in the most non-threatening way ever, but I think I may love her husband... solely based on his organizational skills. I hate the shit piles. My dad has them all over his desk at home and it freaks me out.

When it comes to paperwork, I believe it falls into one of three categories:
1) I need to do something with this -- in which case, do it
2)I need to save this for the future (this is a VERY small percentage of paperwork)
3) I need to throw this away

Piles and piles just make me nervous -- what if something important is lost in there. Ok, I may be a little OCD about clutter and responsibility.

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been married ten years, and my husband stiall cannot bring himself to open mail with my name on it.

I, on the other hand, open his mail all the time.

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! calgary scrabble group http://www.smallbusinesshealthinsurance8.info watch sex cams without registering drunk anal teen Strategy slots New online pharmacies Arizona augmentation breast information

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! side effects going off effexor Sean meadows financial advisor thyroid medication effexor Novelty acuvue contact kirklands home decor store Celexa+case+history www upcb cz parental control Going off effexor cheap propecia antivirus pro effexor taken with st johns wort Ocd and ultram

12:34 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, christian louboutin uk, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, tiffany jewelry, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, nike free, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton outlet

9:40 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, ralph lauren uk, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, hollister pas cher, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, converse pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, north face, nike air force, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike roshe, nike free uk, replica handbags, longchamp pas cher, lululemon canada, sac longchamp pas cher, coach purses, nike air max uk, jordan pas cher, kate spade, ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, north face uk, true religion jeans, sac hermes, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, michael kors, new balance, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet store online, nike tn, coach outlet, air max, vans pas cher

9:42 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, converse, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ray ban, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton, moncler, hollister, ugg, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, replica watches, moncler outlet, gucci, canada goose, louis vuitton, barbour, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, hollister, ugg uk, coach outlet, thomas sabo, supra shoes, pandora charms, swarovski, barbour uk, links of london, converse outlet, canada goose uk, montre pas cher, canada goose, swarovski crystal, vans, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, lancel, doudoune moncler

9:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

moncler, moncler, pandora jewelry, pandora jewelry, marc jacobs, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, sac louis vuitton pas cher, canada goose, moncler outlet, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, bottes ugg, moncler, canada goose uk, replica watches, hollister, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, swarovski, moncler, swarovski crystal, links of london, ugg boots uk, moncler, louis vuitton, doudoune canada goose, ugg pas cher, coach outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose, pandora charms, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, wedding dresses, moncler

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home