free web hit counter

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Toilet Humor

Last weekend was busy, this weekend we are going into the city to an art exhibit of dead people (BELIEVE ME, I WILL BE DISCUSSING THAT LATER!) But back to the busy Weekend:

We hung this sign



and fixed this toilet


That is right, I helped fix the toilet. I TOUCHED the toilet people! With my bare hands. I reached right in and fiddled with it and fixed it. Well, we fixed it. It took one and a half hours and we were on the brink of divorce at several points, but we did it.

The fights started in the toilet-part aisle of Home Depot (hereinafter "the evil empire"). Anyone who ownes a home has been through the 4 stages of Home Depot. First is excitement, then comes dependence, then comes hatred, and finally, acceptance. We are finishing up the hatred phase now. We have grown to hate going to home depot. The very nature of a store that you need to go to every. single. damn. weekend. can drive you insane. But I digress.

ROUND 1

First we argued over what might be wrong with the toilet. The argument was irrelevant because neither of us knew what was wrong with the toilet, or how to fix it, or what parts would be necessary even if we could pinpoint the problem. Finally, a sales person told us that we needed a $2 flapper. Which we bought.

Then we bought the stuff necessary to hang the sign. Another fight errupted over the need to purchase a level. I (normally very frugal when it comes to stuff I think we don't "need") felt the level was necessary to hang the picture. He (will spend every dime in his possession on the most irrelevant and frivilous things, like ugly leather flip flops he will never wear and never return but cost $50) did not want to purchase a level. It was at this point where it became apparent to me that he did not know how the level really worked or what exact role the level would play in the hanging of the picture. I explained it to him, he (now understanding) agreed with me. Crisis averted.

The next fight ensued when we started to put the brace brackets on the back of the picture and I, using the level, lost my patience with him when I realized that he didn't understand what I wanted him to do and snapped at him. He then lost his patience with me. I told him he was being too sensitive, he told me that I was being mean...and let's just say it degenerated from there.

We regained composure and maintained a tense detente throughout the drill usage, which I explained to him in a patient way through gritted teeth, and to which he listened patiently, through gritted teeth.

When the sign was hung, we adjourned to the deck for a drink of soda and a post fight discussion. The fight was dissected and it was determined that he feels a little insecure at my Bob Villa-like prowess and I am a little offended that it bothers him that his wife is better with power tools than he is. There were several I am sorry's on both sides, alot of hugging and some kisses.

ROUND 2

We had such a good talk that we decided to fix the toilet. Dinner plans be damned...this will just take 5 minutes. Well we fixed the flapper, and in the process somehow broke another part of the toilet. After an hour of fiddling and tinkering, and running upstairs to the second floor bathroom to study the working toilet, we determined what the problem was and fixed it.

I have to say, the feeling of fixing something yourself, of figuring it out on your own, with just a pocket knife and your wits...TOTALLY GREAT! I think this whole figuring out how to fix the toilet only serves to further prove the already foregone conclusion that my husband and I could kick ass on Survivor. Once you have faced a toilet, facing Boston Rob is nothing.

Plus, I have almost been able to block out that my bare hand was in the toilet tank. Ewwwwww...

"what's that you ask?...What did we do this weekend?...Oh, well we had a plumbing issue that we had to figure out and fix...oh, it was nothing...no, no, we don't have any training, just kind of figured it out on instinct" That's just how we roll.

12 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Way to go! I completely agree -- I LOVE home fix-it projects.

And, I just have to vent for a moment because I can't on my own blog since Mark reads it -- but we got in a fight last night... ready for this? Over a game. A GAME. This stupid bean farming game -- I know it sounds dumb but it's really fun. It's all about negotiating a deal with the other players.

I'll spare you the details but apparently I made a trade that he didn't like and we spent the next two hours hashing out how I didn't stab him in the back because IT'S JUST A GAME.

I think it's much like your situation -- he had a hard time dealing with not winning -- like it stripped him of a bit of his manhood that I was better. Even though that's hardly a rash conclusion since I only beat him by one point... but whatever. Clearly I'm over it. :)

12:17 PM  
Blogger Newlywife said...

It is almost funny what they choose to get mad at isn't it? Like sometimes, my husband is totally calm and cool in a situation that, were it reversed, I would have imploded over. Then something stupid, like a toilet, or a game, makes them crazy! Will we ever understand them? Do we even have a chance?

2:13 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

So now that Mark and I are on to laughing at our weekend turmoil, I decided it was time to share this post with him.

I think it gave him great comfort to know that my east-coast self, which is what we've taken to calling you, had a similar issue of the male ego. :)

Happy Thanksgiving

8:46 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Where have you gone?
Why have you forsaken your blogging friends?
Did the east coast implode without my expressed written permission?

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot!
1991 chrysler new yorker salon pics 99 chrysler tow and country repairs Mazda b2200 pick up info 1987 1992

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site » »

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! Oxnard farmers insurance for cars Death valley jeep roads Macrobiotic cooking schools Best plastic surgeons in the southwest bextra Do gay men wear tight pants Naval aviation contact lens program

12:43 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, ralph lauren uk, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, hollister pas cher, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, converse pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, north face, nike air force, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike roshe, nike free uk, replica handbags, longchamp pas cher, lululemon canada, sac longchamp pas cher, coach purses, nike air max uk, jordan pas cher, kate spade, ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, north face uk, true religion jeans, sac hermes, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, michael kors, new balance, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet store online, nike tn, coach outlet, air max, vans pas cher

9:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

timberland boots, soccer shoes, nike roshe, asics running shoes, oakley, juicy couture outlet, beats by dre, new balance, jimmy choo shoes, vans, north face outlet, instyler, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, baseball bats, hollister, karen millen, gucci, lancel, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, louboutin, reebok shoes, north face outlet, converse outlet, hollister, herve leger, juicy couture outlet, ralph lauren, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ghd, nike air max, mont blanc, chi flat iron, nfl jerseys, toms shoes, supra shoes, mac cosmetics, converse, babyliss, wedding dresses, celine handbags, ray ban, vans shoes, nike air max, montre pas cher, soccer jerseys, p90x workout, birkin bag

9:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, michael kors, coach outlet, coach outlet, nike free, replica watches, kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, longchamp, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, nike air max, louboutin, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade handbags, sac longchamp, nike outlet, air max, gucci outlet, air jordan pas cher, louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, replica watches, nike free, longchamp pas cher, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, replica handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots

9:43 PM  
Blogger chenlili said...

ugg boots
nike outlet
michael kors outlet
nhl jerseys
ugg boots
mbt shoes
pandora charms
ugg outlet
air max
fitflops
201711.23chenjinyan

10:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hilfiger uk
nike air max 90
ugg
adidas flip-flops
mercurial superfly
ugg
new balance soldes
jordan 1
kobe bryant shoes
uggs outlet
2018.1.31chenlixiang

3:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home