free web hit counter

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Goiter

Not withstanding the baby post from a few weeks back, my husband and I are starting to plan for the day where we will pass on our clearly superior genetic makeup to the next generation. In short, we are planning on having a baby sometime in the near future.
In an amazing turnaround that has surprised the very forces of the universe and upset Karma itself, we broke from our usual fly by the seat of your pants tradition and actually decided to try and stay ahead of the curve on this one. Which means, I made a doctor's appointment in early January to make sure all systems were a go and I was physically healthy and ready to weild the awesome power of creating life. We decided to do a little preliminary preparation. Something about vitamins and not drinking...I'm not sure. I'm not sure because my doctor went compeletly batshit and decided to run all these crazy tests on me because of the excess poundage I have been sporting in the last few months. So we never actually got to the "we're getting ready to have a baby" talk. It went like this:

I walked into the doctor's office and the nurse weighed me. Apparently I have gained over 30 lbs in a little over 3 months. Ummm...yeah. Did I mention that I am five feet tall, and 30 lbs on my frame essentially means I roll from place to place now? Then I talk to the doctor:

Doctor: Didn't you think that this weight gain was not normal? Didn't you notice anything?
Me: Not really, I...
Doctor: Didn't your husband notice?
Me: (thinking if I could have possibly heard him right?) WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
Doctor: Ummmmm....(moving to another topic)

If he didn't cut me off I would have told him that I had noticed I gained weight, but I chalked it up to the newlywed weight gain people talk about. And I was concerned, but I just figured I start running and dieting after the holidays were over...Now let me say that my doctor is actually very nice. Clearly he made a mistake, and he was actually apologetic. And given my complete change in appearance, the question was fairly warranted. But I digress....
So he starts the examination and as he does he tells me it is likely my thyroid. Very common, not a big deal, easily correctable, no need to get upset...yadda yadda yadda...and by the way, I think you have a GOITER, so we're going to need to get an ultrasound of that to rule out anything dangerous like cancer.
Now what is important to know about me is that when I am stressed, I mean really stressed and scared, I manifest this by talking very fast, giggling uncontrollably and making stupid jokes. So I start on my nervous speil "A goiter? My great aunt Myrtle had a goiter" "I can't wait to tell my husband, a goiter is so attractive, I'm going to seduce him with my goiter tonight"...and on and on.
Approximately 3 minutes after telling me I have a goiter, this jackass takes my blood pressure and it is sky high. He expresses concern, and I reply "Dude, you just told me I have a goiter, do you think that it could be a wacked reading?" He agrees. Then he tells me that he felt that my heart rate was too high and wanted to give me an EKG. RIGHT THEN AND THERE.
So I am officially freaking out at this point. I had gone to the appointment by myself before work, just a casual doctor's visit to get some prenatal vitamins. Now I'm hooked up to an EKG and this guy wants me to go across the street to the hospital for an ultrasound immediately following my appointment. Oh, and by the way, we want to do some blood work before you leave too...
So I continue with my self effacing jokes and panicky fast talk. They do the EKG, they take the blood, and now he is telling me where to go for the ultrasound.

Doctor: Just go in the left entrance and up to the 4th floor....
Me: You know what? I can't. I can't go do this now. I need to talk to my husband. I need to talk to him before I do this. I can't do it now. Do I have to do this right now? I mean, I can't do this without at least telling my husband. He has no idea this is going on right now. I need to talk to him. Just let me talk to my husband tonight and I will call you back tomorrow, okay?
Doctor: I am concerned about the Goiter...
Me: Okay, stop saying Goiter. Stop calling it that. I am 30 years old. I do not have a Goiter. I mean, a Goiter? Please! My neighbor's 100 year old grandmother has a goiter. I do not have a goiter. Stop saying that.
Doctor: Okaaaaay....
Me: I just need a day here. This is all moving a little fast. I need to talk to my husband before I just up and get an ultrasound.
Doctor: Alright. You seem nervous. Why don't you tell me when the soonest you can do this will be, and we will set it up. Why don't we do it that way. It isn't invasive...
Me: Next Wednesday, I can do it next Wednesday before work(my mom was flying in that night and staying until Tuesday morning).

So I end up leaving in a whirlwind rush like the Road Runner. And then immediatlely upon leaving and getting out into the air, I, Newlywifed, who made a huge deal about having to talk to her husband about this, who insisted on speaking with her soul mate/life partner/man of my dreams/co borrower on the mortgage/reason for living, about this crazy diagnosis....dug through my purse frantically for my cell phone....

And called my sister in law, the nurse.

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg that is so funny. I have no idea what a goiter even is, but it sounded panicky to me, too!! I'm glad all is well.

-Amy

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 pounds in a week? Can I get me some of that if I don't have a thyroid imbalance?

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About the client issue, I guess when they handed me another such case, I might say, "I already had two of these this month" or "I'm already working on one right now" or something to indicate you're doing your part, and then suggest that someone else take it so you can work on other cases as well. I would mention that these cases take up a lot of your time and while you don't mind doing one now and again, you think you need to spread out the extra work across the firm so that it's more equally balanced. If that doesn't work, I say, like a colleague!!

-Amy

9:45 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I am so relieved you don't have a goiter. I can only imagine that I would have freaked out in a similar way (how shocking :)

...now where do I get some of this magical lose-weight-in-one-week medicine?

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow-- I don't blame you for getting worked up. I have several friends on the thyroid med, and once they get the dosage right they've been doing great!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Jege (Jen) said...

Holy crap, you are hilarious. I'm officially bookmarking you on my favorites.

2:48 PM  
Blogger kari said...

this site was just passed along to me from a friend (see previous comment from jege) when i told her of my lazy, lazy thyroid. so far i've discovered in the past two weeks that the medication for my slovenly thyroid is akin to speed and not only makes me hyper but takes away my appetite. in short, hypothyroidism is the best diet EVER! (right up there with mono and the plague.)

8:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Nissan auto exhaust system parts Free free phendimetrazine phendimetrazine 1971 north carolina state basketball team Weight loss due to ear stapling Mail app spam filter usb flash drive security Free ringtones for motorola v190 Scotia discount brokerage 20 graphics cards Survivor palau betting dual monitor pci video card 20 Acne free scar and acne http://www.computersgraphicswebtemplatesdreamweaver.info/Reviewofvideocapturecards.html soccer federation Canon pixma ip4200 ink cartridges

7:00 AM  
Blogger Peg said...

sigh- I just found you from a google search of the dreaded 'goiter' and hashimoto's (honestly I'm too ashamed to even mention my diagnosis to my family, since having a goiter seems very disturbing!) and you haven't posted in ages.. it's a shame- you're so funny. Just would like to know (and being too lazy to scour your blog for an update) of what became of this? Are you on medication? is it all fine? Did you lose the weight? Do you have any other symptoms? thanks in advance if you decide to answer me :)

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whats up newlywifed.blogspot.com owner discovered your site via search engine but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have discovered website which offer to dramatically increase traffic to your site http://xrumer-service.com they claim they managed to get close to 4000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my blog. Hope this helps :) They offer best services to increase website traffic Take care. Jeremy

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got rid of my erectile disfunction after reading this postand comments:)

4:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, christian louboutin uk, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, tiffany jewelry, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, nike free, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton outlet

9:40 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

true religion outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, ralph lauren uk, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet, michael kors, hollister pas cher, hollister uk, polo lacoste, nike air max uk, converse pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, nike blazer pas cher, north face, nike air force, ray ban uk, true religion outlet, nike roshe, nike free uk, replica handbags, longchamp pas cher, lululemon canada, sac longchamp pas cher, coach purses, nike air max uk, jordan pas cher, kate spade, ray ban pas cher, timberland pas cher, louboutin pas cher, oakley pas cher, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, north face uk, true religion jeans, sac hermes, guess pas cher, hogan outlet, michael kors, new balance, nike roshe run uk, michael kors pas cher, true religion outlet, burberry pas cher, nike free run, coach outlet store online, nike tn, coach outlet, air max, vans pas cher

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, prada handbags, michael kors, coach outlet, coach outlet, nike free, replica watches, kate spade outlet, uggs on sale, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, longchamp, burberry, polo ralph lauren outlet, tory burch outlet, nike air max, louboutin, ralph lauren pas cher, louis vuitton, christian louboutin outlet, chanel handbags, prada outlet, tiffany jewelry, ray ban sunglasses, kate spade handbags, sac longchamp, nike outlet, air max, gucci outlet, air jordan pas cher, louboutin outlet, nike roshe run, replica watches, nike free, longchamp pas cher, jordan shoes, polo ralph lauren outlet, tiffany and co, cheap oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, replica handbags, longchamp outlet, ugg boots

9:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...




There's definately a lot to find out about this issue
https://decor-ksa.com
http://mchaabaty.com/dawadmi/
http://mchaabaty.com/templates/
http://mchaabaty.com/riyadh/
http://mchaabaty.com/stone/

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Cara Menghilangkan Bopeng Bekas Jerawat said...


This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

Obat Penyakit Kulit Eksim
Obat Alami Tekanan Darah Tinggi/Hipertensi
Cara Mengobati Gusi Bengkak
Cara Menyembuhkan Mata Minus
perawatan kesehatan mata
Obat gatal Kudis/gudik

2:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home