free web hit counter

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Sudafed

To take Sudafed or Not to take Sudafed. This is the question.

The doctor (who I am not that thrilled with) has come down on the side of taking the damn Sudafed already and stop calling me with questions about things you read on the internet.

But the internet, and another pregnant friend of mine have said Sudafed is dangerous. Although this friend is not a doctor and the internet was inconclusive...

While the debate rages on, I am in a state of super sickness. Holy Crap Sickness. The kind of sickness where your own mother comes in the room and says "Ew...you don't look good." I mean, you expect it from your queasy husband, but your own Mother? Et tu Mater? But the woman makes a mean matzo ball soup, so I am going to let her slide just this once.

I have decided not to take the Sudafed. As a result, I am white knuckling my way through this cold/flu/plague/death march of germs. I think my inability to get out of bed is directly related to the lack of Sudafed. Is it wrong to want to give the baby to my husband to carry for the remainder of this cold?

I never take a sick day from work. I don't know why, but I really never do. I can't say that it has ever been that much of an issue since I rarely get bed ridden sick on a weekday (lucky me!). But for the past two Sudafed deprived days, I laid in bed...unable to move or to see (Let this be a lesson to all you contact wearers out there...do not leave contacts in when you are sick and have weepy watering eyes. An infection will ensue the likes of which will make your eyes crust and swell shut. And your husband will be disgusted by this. But on the good side, you won't be able to actually SEE his disgust - what with the being swollen and crusty and BLIND).

Today I feel slightly better and so braved a monsoon to come to work. Where the receptionist promptly pulled what will heretofore be known as a "mom" by saying "Eww...you look HOOORRRIBLE!"

Et tu Receptionae?


PS: KidKate, can I take a Sudafed?...Please feel free to weigh in on what our European counterparts think!

6 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I called my doc a million times when I was preggers...can I? can't I? but will it? yeah, it's a tough call. And what we know today could change in ten years, right about the time our children are capable of revenge.

Hang in there. I have never heard of any death-by-lack-of-sudafed, and the common cold hasn't killed a remarkable amount of young, vibrant women (even if they are gestating!)

But I'm all in favor of the H carrying the babe for a bit...after all, it's only fair...

9:52 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Aaaawwww, you poor thing! It's encouraging to know that in your weakened state your Latin remains flawless! :)

Ok, obviously I don't know the first thing about building a human being in my body, but it just doesn't seem that a Sudafed would do any more damage than having a virus. Right? Med school here I come.

Oh, and in other news... YES! It's wrong to dislike me for my good fortune! :) (but I'll take it as a compliment anyway)

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder if more nose hair would have helped to prevent the virus?

1:20 PM  
Blogger KidKate said...

Hmmm...Good question. I think sudafed gets a "no," but fear not, there are alternatives! And just as soon as I figure out what those are, I will let you know! Hang in there--colds are the WORST. THE WORST!

5:37 PM  
Blogger Mig said...

I was recently pregnant and had the same issue. I didn't take anything and just suffered through it.

It sucked.

You might want to look at Airborne, it's like alka seltzer but it's homopathic.

I hope you feel better soon.

The big thing (obviously) is take care of yourself.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Josefina said...

My doctor only let me take paracetamol. We have here a product equivalent to sudafed (I had to look it up), with pseudoephedrin, caffein or similars, and I can't use it...so my humble opinion is that you take paracetamol, it isn't that effective but at least sicologically you will feel that your getting better! LOL!!

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home