free web hit counter

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I promise, this is the last post that I will mention breastfeeding. I should just get over it already. I KNOW!

Last night, the Buddha bit me while I was breastfeeding her. See previous post wherein I informed you she had a tooth.

See where this is going?

This morning on the way into work I told my husband I think the breastfeeding days are numbered now that she is getting teeth.

Husband: I think we should really aim for six months.

Me: Okay. How about this...every time she bites me on the nipple, I will bite you on the nipple. Then we can decide together when to stop breastfeeding.


Men are such wusses, that he probably would call off the breastfeeding after the first bite. Pansy. I, at least, will probably give her three strikes until she's out.


PS: and by "three strikes," I mean I will no doubt keep killing myself until 6 months because I am easily guilted by the breastfeeding nazi's. Remind me when she is graduating from college, to congratulate myself for the extra two months of breastfeeding which no doubt will have been the key to her success in life. Thanks.

8 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

I don't know if this will work for her since she's so young, but I've read that to discourage biting in infants the thing to do is as soon as they bite you look at them and say "no biting" or "ouch!" and then put them down on the floor and ignore them for 1 minute. Then you can get back to feeding her. She probably doesn't realize what she's doing (has probably been gumming you for a while but it never hurt before!) and this might help her realize that it's hurting you and to stop.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Bearca said...

You are so funny. I was (and am about to be again!) exactly like you. I was all talk like "I am so done nursing" but then in the end refused to let myself quit until after six months had gone by. Why the stubbornness? Like two months is really going to make that big a difference. Anyway, I didn't want to take that chance and kept it up despite the arrival of teeth!

Now, baby #2 is about to arrive and so I'm assuming I'll do the same this time around. Will be interesting to see if I'll still be riding the same high horse again!

2:43 PM  
Blogger KidKate said...

"How about this...every time she bites me on the nipple, I will bite you on the nipple. Then we can decide together when to stop breastfeeding."

That totally made me laugh out loud--loudly! And again when I just reread it! Ha.

I am getting bitten too, always towards the end of a feeding. I'm convinced she's going to rip my nipple from my body. That's possible, right?

4:45 PM  
Blogger *krystyn* said...

I too, laughed @ the she bites you, you bite hubs comment - LOL!

I think that's a fair approach...very fair indeed!!

6:08 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

that is absolutely hilarious! I love you creative arguments :)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I feel your (literal) pain! My son got his first tooth at 3.5 months and it was an adjustment at first. Now he's up to eight teeth and we're still going strong at 9 months. Marcy is right, yell OW! and put her down for a minute, she'll get the hang of it quickly.

8:20 PM  
Blogger mamatutwo said...

Oooooh, I hear ya'! Those bites hurt! Here's what worked for me....absolutely! When one of my babies would bite, I would pull her in toward me so that her nose was squished into my breast (not hard, just enough to get her to open her mouth, and when she'd open her mouth to take a breath, I'd do what the other mommies have said. Put her down and say, "No. That hurts Mommy," in a firm way. Sounds kind of crazy, but it absolutely worked for me with each of my children. Good luck! (I've been lurking for quite a while...she's such a sweetie!)

12:24 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Now, I understand why my cousin was not worried when her third baby did not get teeth until 10 months old.

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home