free web hit counter

Thursday, March 27, 2008

What is all the YELLING about?

I believe she has found her voice. And it is a shrill shreek of glee (unless no one is paying attention to her at that moment, then it is a loud elongated grunting type of sound). Alicia Keys she is not.

It is cute. For the first 3 minutes. Then it slowly wears on you, driving you deep into the throes of insanity. Just a constant wailing...

I can not stifle her, or quiet her. I am aware this new yelling is a developmental thing and probably a phase. I love that she is enjoying herself and learning how powerful her voice can be. But we are on day 4 of it, and I don't know if I will survive to day 5.

This morning at 5:30, the gleeful yelling lurched from the monitor on my nightstand. And I will admit that rather than go get her, feed her and start our day together (like usual)...I simply turned down the volume and rolled over. At 6 when I woke back up, she was still happily, and loudly, playing alone in her crib.

Can someone please tell me this will be a brief phase? LIE TO ME IF YOU HAVE TO.


ps: She went through the rasberry already...at the time, I complained...but I would give anything to be covered in baby spit right now! There won't be anything that will make me fondly remember the screaming will there? AGAIN, LIE TO ME IF YOU HAVE TO.

3 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

Totally normal. (And I'm not lying!) It will stop as soon as she gets bored with that particular noise and goes on to some new verbalization (like the delightful raspberry, which has the added bonus of covering everything in a two foot range with a fine layer of baby spit.) It may not be much quieter, but it will almost certainly be less likely to make you want to dig out your eardrums with an icepick.

1:15 PM  
Blogger KidKate said...

Ellie used to do this from 4 to 5 every morning. That's when we started sleeping with the monitor OFF, though it does crack me up that she gets such a kick out of her own voice. Now we're on rasberries as well. Sometimes she'll be upset, then remember she can make rasberries and just blows spit for a while. Babies are weird.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I never much minded the squeealing because at least he/she was entertaining his or herself. The fact that she kept it up and stayed happy would be a good sign - at least she didn't upset herself and start the grunting thing, right?!? 30 extra minutes of sleep is a precious commodity. I wish I could say that it improves, but I fear it is only the beginning of what might lie ahead - she is a girl, afterall!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home