free web hit counter

Monday, October 24, 2005

Ode to Grampy

My husband's grandfather died last night. And while his children mourn and struggle, and hold each other close, I can't help but think that he is watching all the commotion and thinking "what's all the fuss about?" Because for the last few years, Grampy has been a prisoner of his body. Sharp and vibrant well into his 80's, Grampy suddenly found his body giving up on him, wearing out. And I think it made him profoundly sad and desperate to move on. And he did, last night Grampy freed himself. So while my heart breaks for my father-in-law and his siblings, a little bit of me smiles at the thought of Grampy finally on the move again, and I know Grampy is up in heaven giving them a run for their money, because resting in peace is just not his style.

So in honor of the man I called Grampy, two favorite Grampy ancedotes:

Grumpy

I had been dating my husband for about 3 years when I first met Grampy. Grampy lived in Florida and only came up to visit once a year for a couple of weeks right around father's day and his birthday. And from what I had heard, Grampy was a grump. Somewhat a grump of legendary proportions. Apparently never the most affectionate of men, he was described to me by my father-in-law as "not the type of grandfather to play with you or sit you on his lap."

Well I can say that within 30 seconds of meeting Grampy, he asked me to sit right on his lap...and to his dying day, Grampy always had a smile and a wink (and a slightly inappropriate comment) for me. I truly never thought he was grumpy. Since the day I met him, he has been telling my husband to marry me...and so I fell in love with Grampy. He was a real character, and I appreciated him. Plus, I like to believe we shared an inside joke or two.

Grampy

Grampy and I had a great first meeting, and I liked him ever since. Truth be told, I beelined right to Grampy every time he was around just to hear him tell me I was pretty, and tell a few dry jokes. And I would say "hey Grampy, how is it going?" and we would talk for a few minutes, he would be smart and I would be sassy. And as we left, I would kiss him and say "bye Grampy, see you later." This went on for a few years. YEARS PEOPLE, YEARS!

And one day, after my husband and I were engaged, we were at a family party. Grampy wasn't there, and I asked for him.

My Husband's Aunt: It's so funny that you call him Grampy!

My Husband's sister: You call him Grampy?

Me: Why what should I call him?

My Husband's sister: You call him Grampy...to his face?

Me: (starting to get alarmed) Yeah....why...? That's what you guys call him...

My Husband's sister: NOT TO HIS FACE! You call him Grampy to his face?!?

Me: (on the verge of an all out panic) I HAVE BEEN CALLING HIM GRAMPY FOR THE LAST 3 YEARS!!!! YOU ARE WAITING UNTIL NOW TO TELL ME THAT NO ONE CALLS HIM GRAMPY?

My Husband's sister: We call him Grandpop. Grampy is a funny nickname, we say it to be funny to eachother!

Much laughter ensued. And I was of course, very embarrassed. But you know what? I called him Grampy until yesterday, when I said goodbye to him in the hospital. And he never once let on that he minded.

So goodbye Grampy...Thanks for always being so nice to me. We'll all miss you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Such a tender story. Dirty old men are so endearing once they are slightly incapacitated. :)

He sounds like such a character. And I LOVE that you call him Grampy. I think I will make my future kids call my dad grampy. Right now he's insisting on being called "coach" -- you see, he had two girls and always wanted a boy. I think being called "coach" is his idea of heaven.

4:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... enter the search literotica com

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »

5:46 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

chanel handbags, christian louboutin uk, prada handbags, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, michael kors outlet online, uggs outlet, uggs outlet, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, polo ralph lauren outlet online, kate spade outlet, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, replica watches, nike air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry handbags, tiffany jewelry, polo outlet, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin, nike outlet, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, burberry outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet online, christian louboutin outlet, uggs on sale, nike free, louis vuitton, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, ugg boots, louis vuitton, christian louboutin shoes, cheap oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, nike air max, longchamp outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton outlet

9:28 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, canada goose, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, pandora uk, canada goose outlet, converse, toms shoes, pandora jewelry, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, ray ban, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, nike air max, louis vuitton, moncler, hollister, ugg, marc jacobs, canada goose outlet, canada goose jackets, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, replica watches, moncler outlet, gucci, canada goose, louis vuitton, barbour, juicy couture outlet, moncler outlet, hollister, ugg uk, coach outlet, thomas sabo, supra shoes, pandora charms, swarovski, barbour uk, links of london, converse outlet, canada goose uk, montre pas cher, canada goose, swarovski crystal, vans, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, lancel, doudoune moncler

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home