free web hit counter

Monday, June 04, 2007

An Eternity of Happiness

Two Years, a beautiful wedding, a happy home, and a baby butterman on the way.

It has been the two of us, moving through life, stopping only occassionally to smell the new landscaping we almost died (or killed each other, depending on perspective) trying to put in. We have built a home together that, at the end of every day, is where we are trying to get to. Sometimes desperately. I don't try to get to a place, so much as get to him. He is home to me now, no matter where he is.

He has grown into the husband that I knew he would be all along, and I think I have become the wife I didn't know was inside of me. Somewhere along the way, the 25 year old who never called me back to plan a Friday night out because he got caught up with his friends, has turned into a 35 year old who drives his pregnant wife all the way to work every morning rather than have me take the train that is a block from my house, effectively tripling his commute.

We have stood next to each other, as we promised to do, in good times and in bad. There have been times that standing has not been enough, and we have had to carry each other. I held this man's hand when he buried his grandfather and he carried the casket of mine. I passed him a tissue when his baby sister got married, and together we welcomed my niece into the world on a sunny bright day one March.

I have watched him run into an emergency room, looking frantically for me as I sat in a corner hurting, and felt instant relief when his clear blue eyes found mine. I have hopped off an emergency room table, despite being the patient, to help him as he started to faint. He has brought me juice and water during the throws of the worst kind of flu, and I have unwrapped the bandages of his knee surgery wound and felt the pain it must have caused him as if it were my own.

We have gone through loss, and life together.

I have had the pleasure of watching his expression when he first saw his child on an ultrasound, and felt his hands waiting patiently on my belly for a sign of the life inside it.

In a few months, it will all change, and our family of two will become a family of three. It is part of our plans and hopes and dreams, and I wait anxiously for the arrival. But part of me knows that these first two years...these years it has been just the two of us, together figuring out how to move through the world, will have been some of the happiest of our lives. These two years are the foundation we will build all the rest on. And years from now, when we are rocking on our porch together, alone again after children have grown, I will measure the success of my life by whether or not I have earned the love he has given me.

Two years ago today, June 4, 2005, we stood facing each other, before God and all our family and friends, while the priest asked us to live life from the center. And we promised to do it. To be each other's center, and to live life from that place we would create. And while life has swirled around us, sometimes at breakneck speed, the center has always been calm. The center has always been home. It has always been us.

Thank you for all the lemon waters, all the laundry, all the driving, all the pizzas, every home improvement project. Thank you for working to make the world safer every day, for being my moral compass. For tucking me in at night, and holding me every morning for "five more minutes". Thank you for protecting me always. Thank you for laughing at all my jokes, and being my biggest fan. Thanks for telling me I'm beautiful just when my feet are most swollen and the shirt isn't buttoning.


You have been everything that I ever wanted and needed. You have been my center.


Happy 2nd Anniversary

love, me

17 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

congratulations! I can't believe you've already been married for two years!

What a sweet and fitting tribute to your life together. Baby butterman is going to be one lucky kid having parents so in love with each other.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Happy Anniversary! Now, that is a good love story!

11:52 AM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Aw, and now I really miss my hubby (who's away on a business trip for another week). =(

Happy anniversary! I can tell there will be many many more to come. =)

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

That brought tears to my eyes. Happy Anniversary!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Bearca said...

Wow. That was awesome - brought tears to my eyes. Congratulations on a happy two years and I wish you many, many more.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have written a very beautiful piece. Our anniversary is the 24th of this month and it will be 2 years too. Congrats!

9:11 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

I'm not supposed to cry at work, ya know. What a BEAUTIFUL post, Newly. What honest and true love.

I was so content being single, but now, well, I want my own Mr. Newly, thank-you-very-much.

Congratulations to both of you, not for lasting for two years, but for making each moment one to treasure TOGETHER.

Baby Butterman is lucky indeed.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Sarah Louise said...

What a beautiful story--even more so because we know you ain't lying to us.

Happy Anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Newlywifed!!

SL

7:22 PM  
Blogger Kerri W. said...

First of all, I don't think I've told you yet that I'm completely excited that you're back to posting. I think that your is the first blog that I've checked obsessively for updates, because they make me happy.

Second of all, thank you for making me cry at work in front of my computer, because that's not awkward at all, right? Seriously, this was such a sweet entry - it's so nice to hear about a true love story, when they seem to be so rare these days. I hope that my husband and I can be as happy as you are! (You have one year on us.)

So, happy anniversary!

12:41 AM  
Blogger Sue Soto said...

wao i'm a fan reader of your blog a year and a half now...but this post is the best i ever read in the blogosphera...Congratulations and happy anniversay...

kisss

Sue

2:37 PM  
Blogger Poka Bean said...

that was beautiful! i've been on a bit of a hiatus but it was nice to come back to find you happy and doing well! congrats on the babe on the way.

1:58 PM  
Blogger KidKate said...

Happy Anniversary! I love the part about knowing your husband at 25 and at 35. The difference is amazing, huh? And I love that he almost fainted when he saw you in the hospital. Awww...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Kerri W. said...

Awww, thanks for the sweet comment you left me the other day! Cuter than sliced bread? Dude, I'll take it. :)

And sadly, I can't add you to my lifejournal goodness without you having a livejournal. (I've recently dealt with mean lurkers, and so it's friends only now. Boooo.) However, you can feel free to check out my blogger.

Thanks again!

8:04 PM  
Blogger Keely Van Brocklin Emery said...

Hey there! Found my way here via KidKate and see we have some things in common. Just celebrated my 2 year anniversary with my husband on June 4th. Was a lovely day to get married, I think. :) Also, we just welcomed our first baby on May 23rd. Thanks for sharing your happiness, I'll definitely be back. :)

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww.... this made me cry!

Congrats on your 2 year anniv! I know you will share many many more!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Josefina said...

Happy AnniversarY!
Seriously, you made me cry a bit!!
Beautiful post!

6:01 PM  
Blogger mcq said...

كشف تسربات المياه

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home