free web hit counter

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Broken Promises

Remember that post from this morning? And I said I was going to try and not be cranky for the sake of my husband, and enjoying the last few weeks of what is surely going to be a twice in a lifetime (tops) experience?

Yeeeaaaahhhhh...about that.

See the thing is, there is this guy who joined my firm not long ago. And he is weird. I'm not one to judge (well I am, but go with me on this one) but he is just kind of weird.

He doesn't have cable. He plays on-line gaming games or something. And he has a my space page which frankly, is embarrassing for him (pictures of him in costumes flash on the screen and some Weird Al Yankovich song plays in the background).

All of this, I could deal with. Or, I could at least ignore him and just say 'hi' politely when I see him. BUT. BUT there are some things I have no tolerance for, not now at 8 months pregnant, not EVER.

He is a low talker.

And he talks about work in the lunch room.

Did you catch that? AT LUNCH PEOPLE! HE TALKS ABOUT WORK AND CASE LAW AND JUSTICE ROBERTS HAVING SOME TYPE OF SEIZURE AT LUNCH. Also, I feel compelled to tell you all that he wears a three piece suit to work everyday...and we are a business casual office. Honestly, I didn't realize they still sold 3 piece suits and pocket watches. I half expect him to wear a derby hat to work one day.

So that's the background. Let's get to today at lunch:

I was in the middle of talking about Big Brother 8, and Evil Dick, and he interrupted to: #1 say he has never seen Big Brother (see aforementioned lack of cable tv) and #2 ask if anyone had heard the news about our Cheif Justice having a seizure.

Only it took me a while to figure out why he was interrupting because I couldn't hear a DAMN WORD HE SAID BECAUSE HE TALKS SO SOFTLY!

I wanted to scream "SPEAK UP JACKASS!" but then I reigned it in a little and just said "WHAT DID YOU SAY?" in a nasty tone. he then went on a ten minute rant about the ramifications of the Cheif Justice's seizure and what it would mean for the high court.

What? WHAT? WHO CARES? I just want to eat my bologna and cheese sandwich with mustard and my peach (with cool whip...that last post really gave me a hankering).

I don't care about Justice Roberts and his seizure that is apparently no big deal anyway. I mean, I would prefer that Roberts be off the court, but seriously? It's lunch, and Big Brother 8 is way more interesting of a topic.

And secondly, this guy is a weirdo. I hate to get all highschool cool kids here, but on-line gaming?!? REALLY? He doesn't have cable? I can't work with that. I just can't. And for the record, Big Brother 8 is on CBS...NOT CABLE.

So get off your intellectual high horse you three piece suit wearing ass, and speak the hell up when you are talking in a room full of people. And oh yeah, in case you didn't notice...we are eating lunch...AWAY FROM OUR DESKS and metaphorically, AWAY FROM WORK. So no one gives a shit about the time you read Justice Roberts opinion and found a typo.



So I wasn't kidding when I wrote this morning that I would try to be less cranky...just, well, ummm...I will try: STARTING NOW!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to say this constructively. That was way harsh and judgmental and just because you're pregnant doesn't give you license to be like that. If I were your husband, I'd be super nice to you all the time, too. I'd be afraid to be any different. Just because other people don't live their lives just like you doesn't make them weird. And the "Justice Roberts" story made national news, so that's fair game for "water cooler" talk or lunch chat. I bet you would never say how you really felt to his face, and I also know that you are probably a very nice person and are just using your blog to vent, but geez. Your attitude is the reason there are terms like "Bridezilla" and the stereotypical bitchy pregnant lady. I realize that I am in fact judging you by even mentioning all of this. I shouldn't hit publish, I really shouldn't, because I am a nice person too. But when do you stop being nice for the sake of being nice and start speaking your mind for what you hope will do some good? I hope you won't be too angry.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, now I feel bad and clearly am having a bitchy day myself. I know you love your husband and am often amazed at how eloquently you express yourself. I probably sat on that comment for the better part of the afternoon and now realize that it wasn't long enough. I'm in no position to point out what my opinion of people's flaws are. I don't even know what I was thinking, saying those things. I offer my sincere apologies and am also humbled by your response. I promise to keep thoughts like that to myself in the future.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

yikes, anon. It's every pregnant woman's, scratch that, every woman's, scratch that, every ONE's right to declare what is and is not weird on their own blog. And even though I may not be up on Big Brother, it has to be more enjoyable lunch talk than a seizure.

4:50 PM  
Blogger *krystyn* said...

Why is it that those who leave scathing negative comments on our blogs are always "anonymous"?

It's your blog - write what you want to.

If someone doesn't like it - they shouldn't read it.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Clearlykels said...

Anonymous-- this is a blog. That's what you get to do, on a bad day you get to vent, if you are being irrational, it is ok because it is YOUR blog. You get to comment on peoples thoughts of blogs, but I don't think it is fair to judge and then do this anonymously.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh my gosh! I am going to seriously miss 8-month-pregnant you. You are hilarious!!!

And even more "Oh my gosh!" I just saw the first comment... and the second one... this is like Christmas for me... so many crazy people around!

I LOVE that you passionately dislike that this guy doesn't have cable -- I really think this should be categorized as a character flaw. :)

...now... what does it say about me that I am not 8-months pregnant and have thoughts like this ALL the time? :)

4:00 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

What's especially weird to me about no-cable-low-talker-man is the seeming incongruity of his online gaming habit with the fact of his three-piece-suit-wearing. What's up with that? All the gamers I know (and I know a lot...lol!) would jump at the chance to dress down a little at work. Heck, I think half of them are mad that they have to put on pants to leave the house.

Vent on, girl--you're making a whole 'nother person. You should get to talk about Big Brother at lunch if you want to!

2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home