free web hit counter

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Butterman Cometh...but not yet

I like being pregnant. I mean, don't get me wrong, it isn't all peaches and cream (ooooh...I could totally go for peaches and cool whip right now!). But the fact is, it is exciting, and even though the last 2 weeks have been completely uncomfortable, and I haven't slept in a week and a half, at the end, I will have Baby Butterman.

Plus, I have to say, my husband is totally in love with the pregnant me. I am not looking hot ladies, not by a long shot, but this kid keeps touching me and hugging me and kissing me, and telling me how cute and beautiful I am. And here is the kicker: HE TOTALLY MEANS IT! I'm not kidding...he really loves me being pregnant.

And that my friends, makes all the difference in the world. He loves it so much, he makes me love it. Swollen ankles and all.

But I feel the shift. It is getting harder, and I am not hopeful for the last 5 weeks of this 9 month marathon. I can't sleep and it is making me irritable. I am stressed out beyond belief at work (I don't even want to talk about the fact that they denied my request for extended maternity leave), and frankly, Butterman is starting to get bigger than the house he is currently in...which is not pleasant if you are that house.

So I have been slightly cranky lately...particularly about the sleeping thing. And that saying about if mommy isn't happy, then no one is...yes, I think that may be true. I notice that it is getting harder on me, but also harder on him. So I am going to try and make a super human effort to not crank out so much, and really enjoy these last few weeks of torture...I mean, the miracle of life...


Yesterday, after a long day of work, we went grocery shopping. I think the term "know your limitations" would be appropriate here. First, I had to pee the entire time we were in there, despite however many trips I made to the bathroom. Second, I got incredible heart burn while we were there. After trying to just get through the heartburn, we walked to the pharmacy aisle and bought tums, which I promptly opened and ate.

Then I sneezed.

Then I turned to my husband and said "I just peed a little bit"

Then he looked at me. This man who has been so excited for so long with the pregnancy, the same man who can't keep from kissing me and hugging me and touching my belly all the time. And with a resigned look on his face said:

"Alright, this is getting tough huh? You are a real mess right now."

Indeed I am.

4 Comments:

Blogger Marcy said...

Is it a bad sign if I'm barely 12 weeks and already get super cranky?

11:35 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I had HORRIBLE heartburn with each of my pregnancies. It never went away, so I take Prilosec OTC now. Anyway, I'm sorry that they won't let you take extended maternity leave. That seems completely unfair. I would just take it anyway and then scout for a new firm! :) Good luck. You will be so surprised at all the joy that you didn't even know you could feel. It's an exciting time.

1:49 PM  
Blogger KidKate said...

They won't let you have the extended maternity leave? What?! Why not? No wonder you're cranky. Hang in there. And maybe consider a move to the UK :-).

5:21 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

do ya think that someday I might have someone in whom I put my trust so completely that I might be able to utter the words, "I think I just peed a little" to?!?!

sigh.

You think it's so unromantic, me? I think it's adorable. Really.

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home